Okay, cream of wheat I know. It was one of my favorite hot cereals growing up, and I would happily eat a bowl of it right now.
But what is cream of rice cereal?? If you find it, tell me, please, so that we can make this cake-like bread together. In fact, I’m thinking this is something our little ones can make mostly alone while we sit very nearby and supervise.
First we need to find cream of rice cereal. Hm.
Liberian Rice Bread
2 cups cream of rice cereal
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups mashed bananas or plantains
1 cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 °F / 204 °C.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, including the bananas or plantains.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
4. Pour the batter into a round or square cake pan. Bake 30-45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. When a toothpick is inserted and then comes out dry and clean, the bread is done.
5. Serve hot with butter or margarine or at room temperature. Have your favorite hot or cold drink ready. Apple cider would be great.
Filed under: Vegetarian Kids |