I thought I’d already happily inhaled everything related to Dan Zanes, but his song “Smile Smile Smile” in a certain context made me see it with new eyes.
The Bryant Park Project was a terrific new radio show which was less than a year old and unexpectedly cancelled about 30 years too early.
Radio kid that I am, I am annoyed that I discovered this show only a few months ago. The last show was July 25th, and to show their acceptance of the matter (look up Kübler-Ross’ 5 stages of grief), they played Dan Zanes’ “Smile Smile Smile”.
There are so many things that can/need to be done with this song. For example:
- Learn it. (Lyrics and guitar chords are here, so that’s “thriftshop coats”, not “beer coats”.)
- Share it.
- Watch it below.
- Watch a much clearer version here. Snuffle around the rest of his site for gallons more information.
- Borrow Dan Zanes’ idea and make a video of all your smiling family and friends.
- Start a daily journal in which you record 3 things that made you smile. Yes, write every day.
- (Now you think of something!)
Speaking of smiles and acceptance, my favorite smiley watch finally stopped working today. The end of an era. Sigh. I’m okay. I can accept this. Thanks for your concern.